Inherited telescope-- repairs?

Chris
Hello,

I recently inherited a Meade LX90 EMC 8" (older version). It was stored with the batteries installed and there was some leakage into the battery sleds. I've cleaned them fairly thoroughly and installed fresh batteries, but the unit does not power on. I have disassembled the base and fork arm enough to verify that all connectors to the PCBs appear to be intact.

In addition, the casting that allows me to lock down the R.A. has broken and my attempts to repair it with JB Weld have been in vain.

Can anyone direct me to a local place that might be able to help me with these repairs? The cost to have the telescope shipped to Meade and repaired are pretty steep...

Thank you!

Re: Inherited telescope-- repairs?

Shasta Astronomy
Administrator
Hi Chris,

I've taken your message and forwarded it on to the club's mailing list to see if we can get some better answers.  Off of the top of my head, you might call Crown Camera and see if they have any contacts that they can share with you.  The owner (if memory serves) used to be a club member so they have a little background with astronomy grade telescopes.  Another option might be to check out a web page called Cloudy Nights and see if they have any ideas for local service techs.  Hopefully the club members will come up with some better suggestions.

Good Luck,

Greg

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Chris [via Welcome] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I recently inherited a Meade LX90 EMC 8" (older version). It was stored with the batteries installed and there was some leakage into the battery sleds. I've cleaned them fairly thoroughly and installed fresh batteries, but the unit does not power on. I have disassembled the base and fork arm enough to verify that all connectors to the PCBs appear to be intact.

In addition, the casting that allows me to lock down the R.A. has broken and my attempts to repair it with JB Weld have been in vain.

Can anyone direct me to a local place that might be able to help me with these repairs? The cost to have the telescope shipped to Meade and repaired are pretty steep...

Thank you!

http://welcome.32296.n7.nabble.com/Inherited-telescope-repairs-tp95.html
To start a new topic under Shasta Astronomy Club, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Shasta Astronomy Club, click here.
NAML

Shasta Astronomy Club

Shasta Astronomy Club on Facebook

Follow Shasta Astronomy on Twitter
@ShastaAstronomy

Re: Inherited telescope-- repairs?

Shasta Astronomy
Administrator
Hi Chris, Here' the first reply from the club -

hi greg i m not on the forums so will answer via u, its possible the acid ate the copper inside the insulation, or the cleaning method left residue acting as insulator ,preventing power up or caps on pcb boards bad ,check at the boards for power, and the swtch cud be corroded as well,as to the broken piece no answer without images at least

Jerry K7ANQ Skcc# 10843 10-10 # 76401