Rained Out Eclipse

Shasta Astronomy
Administrator
Well damn, it looks like we're rained out for the Solar Eclipse today.

Re: Rained Out Eclipse

gmushial
Not rained out, only in Redding...   but from Av 7 and US-99 about 5 miles north of Fresno: was quite a show, and very well worth the 10 hr drive down and back. Managed to get 201 images between two cameras using $10 solar filters...   now looking forward to 21Aug2017 - already have the location staked out [should be the best eclipse since 11Jul1991, though painfully only less than half the duration].

Re: Rained Out Eclipse

gmushial
And I must say: the stage designers, the production managers, did a spot on job including the sunspot complex just below the eclipsed part...  aesthetically very spot on  ;-)   talk about thinking about even the smallest of details  :-)

Re: Rained Out Eclipse

gmushial
Though I must say that yesterday morning was a nail biter...  had been looking at plan B alternatives for about a week [of the 7 totals I've chased, only had 1 fail; but two only happened because there was a plan B, eg, mexico 1991]...  had been looking at Winnemucca (per posts elsewhere), Fresno and Green River UT. Winnemucca was looking good until Tuesday evening when the high clouds were moved into the forecast - leaving it a toss up btwn Fresno and Green River, but with neither optimal: Fresno was far enough south that one was giving up 4% coverage; and Green River had the end of the eclipse only 7deg off the horizon...  but just to add to the excitement, the official weather speculators suggested partial cloudy in the Th morning forecast for Fresno - something that hadn't been there up until midnight...  but by leaving a half hour earlier than planned, and pushing on the gas a little harder, I figured that if push came to shove, I could make it to Delano and location B'...   but by Willows the rain stopped; and by Manteca the heavy clouds were a black wall to the north; by Merced it was more blue than not; and by Av 7, the only thing in the sky were some con-trails from all the LAX area flights...  so instead of pushing further south (which meant even a longer drive home), decided to enjoy a leisurely lunch and go with locate B...  and with no regrets, other than wondering if maybe the $10 filters were penny wise, pound foolish, in that they were bought as a test of a student possible/approachable setup; but given the infrequentness of solar eclipses, maybe using the $10 filters on one camera and a real filter on the other might have not been a better plan...  will have to think which way to go for 2017.

Re: Rained Out Eclipse

gmushial
This is the same image, but cropped and at full camera resolution - not all that ugly for a $10 filter on a $100 camera on a $25 tripod  ;-)   ie, very student approachable (which was the goal).