Welcome

Locked 9 messages Options

Welcome

Shasta Astronomy
Administrator
Hi Folks,

Welcome to Shasta Astronomy's new Forum!

Re: Welcome

Amber
Hey everyone.

Re: Welcome

Shasta Astronomy
Administrator
Greetings All

New club website

Corky
I think the new website is terrific!

Re: New club website

Shasta Astronomy
Administrator
Thanks Corky, we've been working hard and think that everybody is going to like the new look.

Re: Welcome

Ben Spade
Cool.
Orion Sky View Pro 8" refractor - 56.5 lbs. of astronomical wonder.

Re: Welcome

Shasta Astronomy
Administrator
welcome Ben!

On Wednesday, September 24, 2014, Ben Spade [via Welcome] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Cool.
> Orion Sky View Pro 8" refractor - 56.5 lbs. of astronomical wonder.

> NAML

Shasta Astronomy Club

Shasta Astronomy Club on Facebook

Follow Shasta Astronomy on Twitter
@ShastaAstronomy

Re: Welcome

Wayne
Hi there! I live in Cottonwood and would like to check out some telescopes. I will be buying my first, but there are no stores other than Target or Best Buy to touch and look thru a "real" telescope. Sort of like buying a New car by looking at a picture in "Harpers Bazar." Where can I go or who can show me telescopes being used and let me view the stars thru each so I can buy a great scope? Not a cheap one. I've been looking at a Levenhuk Skyline Pro 90. Seems like a good choice but not sure. Any help would be appreciated. You can email me back. Thanks for your time. Wayne

Re: Welcome

Shasta Astronomy
Administrator
Hi Wayne,

Welcome to the group.

I'm not familiar with the Levenhuk but most MakCas type scopes give you a pretty good bang for your buck.  You are more than welcome to join us at any of our events that you can find by clicking on the EVENTS tab above and try out a few different types of scopes.  Our winter observing schedule is very dependent on weather though and we were clouded out for last nights observing event.

Going back to telescopes, you might want to look at a Dobsonian type of scope as they tend to be the best cost per inch of aperture of anything out there.  I have several scopes and my largest is a 10" dob from Orion Telescopes.  It's one of two 10s in the club and our Vice President uses either his 13" or his 16" dob and sees some amazing things.  For about $100 more than the Levenhuk, Amazon has an 8" dob    that will allow you to see much more than the 90mm (3.5 inches).  The big disadvantage to dobs is their size, my 10" weighs in at close to 40lbs and the tube is almost 5' long.  On the other hand, the dobs are practically indestructible (I will hand mine over to several of the kids when we do public outreach events) and you can be up and running in just a few minutes without having to do any sort of alignment process.

There are plenty of options out there too fit pretty much every checkbook (this can be an expensive hobby, especially if you get a case of "aperture fever" and it's a rare amateur astronomer who has only a single scope for long.   Come on out and join us for a few events and try out a few of our scopes and you'll have a much better idea of what rig will work best for you.

Greg