new telescope

kyle reitan
 I'm looking for a new beginner telescope around $150. i'm thinking of a celestron powerseeker 127 EQ but i'm wondering if anyone has a sugestion.

Re: new telescope

Shasta Astronomy
Administrator
Hi Kyle,

Welcome to the club!  We've had a club member use a 127 for several years and really enjoyed it.  He recently upgraded to a NexStar 4se and is having even more fun with that one.  One of the things we discovered about the 127 is that the tripod mount is prone to wobbles and it can get frustrating to try have to wait until the rig settles down and steadies up.  The scope itself is designed for lunar, planetary and other bright objects so the Orion Nebula would look good but you'd have a difficult time bringing in something like the Blue Snowball Nebula simply because your aperture (how much light the telescope can collect) is rather small.  I'm a big fan of Dobsonian scopes where you can get good aperture for a reasonable price plus the scopes themselves are close to indestructible.  Orion Telescopes has a nice selection but not around your $150 range.  You also sacrifice the computer control but that doesn't have to be a negative.  We have a club member who uses a Dobsonian and he can get on a target faster manually that I can with my computer.  It's just a matter of practice.

Come on out to one of our star parties sometime and you can see a selection of scopes from the computer controlled NexStars to the Dobs and you'll get a better idea of the pros and cons of each one.  That might give you a better idea as to what type of scope will fill your needs.

Greg Williams
Shasta Astronomy Club

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 8:36 PM, kyle reitan [via Welcome] <[hidden email]> wrote:
 I'm looking for a new beginner telescope around $150. i'm thinking of a celestron powerseeker 127 EQ but i'm wondering if anyone has a sugestion.

http://welcome.32296.n7.nabble.com/new-telescope-tp77.html
To start a new topic under Shasta Astronomy Club, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Shasta Astronomy Club, click here.
NAML

Shasta Astronomy Club

Shasta Astronomy Club on Facebook

Follow Shasta Astronomy on Twitter
@ShastaAstronomy

Re: new telescope

kyle
 Thank you for the great information I will keep looking.

Re: new telescope

kyle
I got the xt6 and I am very happy.  but it comes with only one eye peice so I am thinking of a 6.3,3.6, amd the 10 mm eye  peices.

Re: new telescope

Shasta Astronomy
Administrator
Hey Kyle,

What a great Christmas Present!  I'm guessing that it came with a 20 or 24mm eyepiece?  If so, I'd look at the 10mm for a second one.  You might also want to look at something like a 32mm to give you a nice, big field of view and get a lot of photons to your eye.  The next time we have a Star Party, Al can show you how to "star hop" around the sky and find things up there.

Greg

http://welcome.32296.n7.nabble.com/new-telescope-tp77p80.html